Saturday, April 21, 2012

[10] Kid Pix and Cross-Curricular Lessons

As a child I vividly remember Kid Pix, I'd be curious if other students have ever used this program recently or as a child (more likely) and could contribute some cross-curricular ideas.

Either way, in short, Kid Pix is a child's version to Photoshop. I was recently wondering how I could plan a lesson, using this technology, but incorporating standards and keeping it educational. As an art teacher, Kid Pix can easily be incorporated into a lesson or two. The program allows students to create lines and shapes (to learn about line and form), use the pencil, paint brush and paint bucket tool (to learn about color), use, edit and create stamps (used for repetition), among many other things. Obviously this lesson would be geared towards the Elementary level, and if I ever wanted to create a lesson for older students I would just have them switch to Photoshop and of course edit the actual lesson goals and such. BUT- I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate other contents, or even more ideas for my content, in an academically challenging and acceptable way (unlike the Oregon Trail which was educationally based, yet students didn't learn much). There's always the easy Math connection to making pictures that illustrate numbers, but I wanted something deeper. I would love to hear any suggestions and if any one has questions about Kid Pix I can easily answer them for you. 

Below I provided a Youtube video, but this is the most recent version (I have only experienced the original version).


No comments:

Post a Comment